What is a childhood where there is no wheelie buddy to accompany?
Indeed, a bike is a child’s best friend before he learns to befriend people around.
As the baby grows into a young kid, aka tween or pre-teen, to be precise, he looks forward to the most and best bikes.
Besides all the categories, mountain bikes are the ones that are kid’s super favorite. As the name suggests, it includes heights, trail jumpings, fun, adventure, and much more; hence is a pure attraction to the growing enthusiastic kids.
Mountain biking can be introduced to young kids beyond approximately 6 to 8 years. As they touch 12 years, hence their pre-teen phase, they are supposed to be ready for their expedition to trails and terrains.
Initially, with their best mountain bikes for 12 years old, they can be made to practice over flat surfaces for shorter rides and then moving towards the next phase of dirt riding over comparatively long distances.
There are several benefits of mountain biking for kids that eminently include fitness, keeping the body active and going, spending constructive playtime outdoors, and learning a new skill that adds to their extracurricular activities.
Besides, it also has many positive psychological benefits for kids, particularly those around 12 years. A few of them are building self-confidence within, learning to live a disciplined life, the skills of focus, balance, and concentration, and gaining a good sleep.
These are just mere examples of how this age kid could get to achieve a quality life for himself with the help of his perfect and best mountain bike for 12 year old.
Indeed, dedicated practice is what transforms a kid into a finely trained and aggressive mountain biker one day.
Prominently, before the kid turns a teenager, he must have his best mountain bike for 12 year old, equipped with high-quality components, correct gearing system, guidance, and training to achieve that desired expertise. It is absolutely beneficial to start as early as possible.
You must consider many factors before buying the best mountain bike for 12 year old kids. The eminent ones include the basic budget, the suitable fit, bike material, weight, the right gear system, saddle height, braking system, suspension, etc.
Also, you must always be careful regarding the unwanted injuries that can occur while getting on with mountain biking. The kids of the age 12 years and around are highly enthusiastic, passionate, and fearless.
Even the kids being a little underconfident and hesitant may also make them slow at riding, resulting in wounds and discomfort.
Thus it is always to stay concerned about the factors causing such mishaps with your kids while teaching them mountain biking. Safety beyond anything is what you should teach them before anything.
Let us roll towards an informative guide prepared with which we intend to reach out to all the wishful parents out there looking for the best mountain bike for their 12 year old kids.
That is all that you and your 12 year old would need as he looks forward to kicking start the journey of mountain biking.
Best Mountain Bikes For 12 Year Old – Comparison
|Name of MTB||Wheel size||Drivetrain||Specialty||Price|
|Mongoose Silva Mountain Bike|
|Best beginner’s 24” MTB|
|Schwinn Protocol 1.0 Men’s and Women Mountain Bike|
|Best for learning skillful Mountain biking|
|Mongoose Status 2.2 Men and Women Mountain Bike|
|Best suitable for pre-teens|
|Dynacraft Magna Front Shock Mountain Bike|
|Best all-terrain 24” MTB|
|Schwinn High Timber Youth/Adult Mountain Bike|
|Roadmaster 26” Granite Peak Men’s Mountain Bike|
|Best value for money|
|Huffy Hardtail Mountain Trail Bike 26 inch|
|Best for oversized 12-year olds|
|Hiland 24/26 Inch Mountain Bike MTB|
|Best versatile bike|
Best Mountain Bikes For 12 Year Old – Review
This 24-inch mountain bike is a perfect option for a 12 year old with a height of a maximum of 5’2”.
Mongoose Silva Mountain Bike is a great fun bike that features a strong frame made with aluminum alloy. It is connected to the hydro-formed tubing, which adds extra strength and durability to the bike.
The front suspension fork smoothes out all the shocks, bumps, and thumps over any kind of rough patchy trail. That is the ultimate option for your 12-year-old who looks forward to a great bar in mountain biking.
The front and rear linear-pull braking system in the bike lets the biker stop it when needed. The 21-speed SHIMANO rear derailleur enables easy shifting and an overall excellent biking experience.
The 24”x2.1” wide sturdy tires sit on lightweight yet strong alloy rims that let the bike stay in touch with the ground avoiding the discomforting bumps and jumps.
This Mongoose MTB for your 12-year-old is everything to keep him safe and at ease while riding.
- The lightweight aluminum alloy frame provides strength and durability to the bike.
- 24”x2.1” wide wheel size provides easy gliding over all types of terrains.
- The strong riser handlebar comes with colored end plugs that look stylish and are eye-catching.
- An adjustable seat post lets you adjust the saddle’s height according to the rider’s height.
- The bike comes partially assembled.
- The instruction manual is well-guiding and straightforward.
- Kickstand included
- Poorly designed grip shifter.
- The tire spacing is exceptionally close.
- Inferior quality components equipped
One of America’s top-rated brands, Schwinn is absolutely an expert manufacturer of Mountain bikes for years. This 26-inch mountain bike is a versatile one as it fits a 12-year-old as well as an average adult excellently.
The Schwinn Protocol 1.0 Men’s and Women Mountain Bike mountain bike is a premium option suitable for pre-teen riders. The bike features a durable and lightweight aluminum alloy frame with full suspension and a sturdy front suspension fork.
That lets the bike give a better comfortable riding experience to the biker being on any type of terrain.
The 26” wheelset sits on lightweight yet strong alloy rims and provides better traction on the ground keeping the rider safe.
This 24-speed trigger shifter gives a wonderful gearing experience and smooth gliding over the bumpy trails. The Mechanical front and rear disc braking system provide quick and easy stopping that keeps the rider feel fresh and relaxed even after a long biking time.
- The Aluminum alloy frame makes the bike durable and lightweight.
- 26” wide tires sit on double-walled alloy rims for added support and durability.
- This bike is suitable for exceptionally taller 12-year-olds.
- A three-piece alloy crankset lets the rider change gears smoothly and swiftly.
- The bike is cost-efficient and low in maintenance.
- The bike comes 80 percent pre-assembled
- It only requires connecting the front wheel, seat and tightening the handlebars to get started.
- The bike is heavy.
- Inferior quality components equipped
This 26-inch mountain bike is perfectly suitable for your 12 year old to get on the journey of mountain biking. This bike cannot be seen as a legit mountain bike. But it is counted amongst an ideal one for the 12-year-old riders looking out to explore the stable trails of hills comfortably.
The Mongoose Status 2.2 Men and Women Mountain Bike is made with a lightweight yet solid and durable full-suspension aluminum alloy frame.
The frame is equipped with hydroformed tubing along with a robust front suspension fork. The rear suspension fork absorbs all the shocks and bumps, keeping your budding rider safe without him getting tired on the track.
The 21-speed drivetrain offers smooth shifting and gearing while being on the journey off-road. The 26”x2.125” wide tires rest on lightweight yet durable alloy rims and give a solid grip on the rough trails.
The front and rear linear-pull brakes let the biker quickly stopping the bike over bumpy rides.
- The lightweight aluminum frame is strong and provides durability to the bike.
- A reliable linear-pull braking system is efficient and makes stopping free from jerks and thrust.
- The front suspension fork and rear suspension shock protect the rider from sudden shocks over bumpy trails.
- 26”x2.125” wide wheel size provides easy gliding over all terrains.
- Powerful SRAM twisters let smooth shifting and gear changing.
- Riser handlebars come with bright-colored end plugs that complete the overall look of the mountain bike.
- Brakes are noisy, and their pressure is feeble.
- The assembly is not easy and requires an expert.
- The saddle is not cushioned and comfortable.
This 24-inch mountain bike is suitable for both 12 year old boys and girls. This bike gives your pre-teenager a comprehensive option to get on the hills or any rough terrain post their fundamental biking.
The 24” all-terrain Dynacraft Magna Front Shock Mountain Bike has a super-strong high-tensile steel frame that adds the required strength and safety while hitting the terrains. It also makes the bike more durable. A solid and robust front shock is equipped to absorb the thumps, shocks, and bumps while riding off the rough patchy terrain.
The 18-speed drivetrain has an indexed shifting gear system providing a reliable and very comfortable biking experience to your 12-year-olds.
The front and rear linear-pull braking system is rapid and lets the biker make sudden breaks while intending to stop or taking sharp turns.
- Ultra-strong sleek, and high-tensile steel frame provides strength to the bike and safety to the biker.
- 24” wheels give a balanced and safe riding experience.
- Highly suitable to 12-year-olds to shift to advanced mountain biking from the practice of basic bike riding.
- The front and rear twisters give easy shifting with three speeds in the front and six speeds in the rear.
- Quick-release seat post lets adjust the saddle’s height as per the biker’s height.
- The saddle is padded and comfortable on longer rides.
- Easy to assemble and install.
- Inferior quality gears strip easily.
- Pedals are fitted loose and may fall off easily.
This premium Schwinn High Timber Youth/Adult Mountain Bike is suitable for the 12-year-old boys and girls who look off to hit the hill terrains post practicing basic biking style.
This 24” mountain bike is available all over in the markets or online in both Steel and Aluminum frames. The frame choice entirely depends on the buyer.
The 21-speed drivetrain has a robust front suspension that absorbs all the bumps and thumps during off-road biking. The Steel and Aluminum options make this model durable, sturdy yet light in weight as well.
The 24” wheels, wide and knobby, rests over light in weight alloy rims for durability and safety over rough terrain. They are connected to the strong alloy crankset. The bike also has smooth shifters for quick gearing with rear derailleurs.
- The options of Steel and Aluminum frame offer adds immense strength and durability to the bike.
- Adjustable quick-release seat post lets the rider of any height suitable for a ride.
- The alloy cranks are strong and make the bike low at maintenance.
- The bike is perfect for 12 year old kids of height between
- Significantly well-guiding instruction booklet provided
- Premium quality components are equipped.
- Easy to assemble and install.
- A kickstand is included.
- The derailleur shifting is rough and noisy.
- The chain falls off the gear frequently.
The Roadmaster 26” Granite Peak Men’s Mountain Bike has a solid and sturdy steel frame that makes the bike extremely strong and durable.
The bike also features 26” wheels wide enough to let the bike glide through the bike obstacles off-road or any other flat terrain. The front suspension fork absorbs thumps and bumps over rough terrains.
The superior quality 18-speed drivetrain features smooth twisting shifters for an overall comfortable biking experience. The front and rear linear-pull brakes are smooth and crisp over rough terrain and any surface.
The SHIMANO rear derailleur enables easy and smooth navigation over bumpy rides releasing any discomfort.
This Roadmaster 26” mountain bike is precisely a better option for the exceptionally taller 12-year olds. It can be a reliable and safe option for those 12-year-olds as well, looking forward to a perfect switch from their basic 24” mountain bikes.
- The steel frame with full suspension is super-strong with safety and long-lasting features.
- The 26” wheelset provides maximum traction and grip.
- This MTB is kids-friendly, as it is all good for the taller 12-year-olds with a height between 5’4” to 5’ 10”.
- The saddle is adjustable, padded, and hence comfortable.
- There are two reflectors on the front and rear.
- The bike is pocket-friendly hence cost-efficient.
- Best value for money.
- Easy to assemble and install.
- The bike is not suitable for overweight 12-year-old kids
- Loosely fitted pedals.
This 26-inch mountain bike is a perfect option for a 12 year old or more. This bike lets your kid explore most of the off-road terrains due to its durable and super-strong steel frame.
According to the wheel size, several frame sizes are available, representing a broader range that provides an extensive product choice.
Hence, the 26” wheels are oversized and powerfully held onto the surface, providing the young rider the best comfortable biking experience.
The Huffy Hardtail Mountain Bike features a high-quality SHIMANO TZ-31 rear derailleur and micro-shifting twisting shifters that deliver 21 speeds. That lets your child go for a safe uphill riding, downhill gliding, and pavement cruising experience.
The front suspension fork enables safe and comfortable riding uprooting any bumps over rocky terrains. A robust and reliable alloy linear-pull braking system with machined alloy wheel rims lets the biker stop efficiently, keeping it safe from sudden jerks.
Hence the bike overall keeps the 12-year-old riders away from tired legs and discomforting strain on the body.
- The sturdy and ultra-strong steel frame adds strength and durability to the mountain bike.
- This bike is perfectly suitable for 12 year old kids with a minimum height of 5’.
- The Shimano Revoshift and Shimano TY-300 indexed rear derailleur provide effortless shifting and gliding over rough terrains.
- The ATB saddle is neatly stitched and hence provides support and comfort to those little bums.
- Easy height adjustment of the seat is possible with the quick-release clamp.
- The Kraton grips are soft and sweat-free.
- The resin-made ATB-type pedals on the three-piece crankset are straightforward to roll.
- The slight-rise handlebar lets the 12-year-olds have the best sitting position avoiding any physical discomfort.
- The bike comes partially assembled.
- The bike’s maximum weight-bearing capacity is 250 pounds, hence perfect for oversized 12-year-olds.
- A kickstand is included.
- The bike has a low pick-up speed and cannot go fast.
- Poor gear ratio.
- The handlebar is loosely fitted and comes out easily.
Comparison Table for Top 3 Best Mountain Bikes For 12 Year Old
|Name||Wheel Size||Frame||Speed||Brake Style||Suspension||Rating|
|Schwinn High Timber Youth/Adult Mountain Bike||24”||Steel||21||Linear Pull||Front||4.1/5|
|Huffy Hardtail Mountain Trail Bike 24 inch||26”||Aluminum||21||Linear Pull||Front||4.1/5|
|Schwinn Protocol 1.0 Men’s and Women Mountain Bike||26”||Steel||24||Linear Pull||Dual||4.1/5|
As per the analysis, Huffy Hardtail Mountain Trail Bike 26 inch tops the chart. Although Schwinn being America’s one of the top-rated brands, Huffy is a little ahead in terms of quality, design, and comfort.
The Huffy Hardtail Mountain Trail Bikes are available in specific wheel sizes, frame sizes, and other specifications.
For a 12-year-old kid, however, both 24” and 26” wheel size suits well, the final choice must be made based on the child’s height, weight, and other physical characteristics.
This bike is a perfect choice when it comes to off-road biking or even cruising. The cherry on the top is that its best compatible with the exceptionally tall or oversized pre-teenagers. Hence, highly recommended.
Every child is special, and so are his dreams. It could be deemed from the child’s activities in his initial years what he intends to pursue in his forthcoming future. Hence, the parents need to be watchful regarding the same.
Mountain biking is the sport where an individual takes the baby steps, actually, while he is just a baby.
The first step of him with his bike describes his eternal journey. Hence, as he turns 12 years, which is no less than a milestone in his life, he needs the best mountain bike for 12 year old kids to be his best wheelie buddy. He may fall during the journey, but eventually, he would rise and shine the brightest.
So let your 12 year old get his best mountain bike for 12 year old now, and let him design his own path towards the peak and heights of the mountain.